Sunday, October 28, 2012

Toasted Pumpkin Seed Brittle & Double Chocolate Loaf (BONUS!)

Happy Sunday Morning bakers! I first made this brittle a few weeks ago when I did all of my pumpkin roasting for the season. If you've never roasted pumpkins before, I highly suggest it...fresh pumpkin puree is heaven! Time consuming and A LOT of work, but totally worth it. And whatever you don't use can be frozen for future use - I am planning on making soup with mine (whoopie pies, pumpkin almond cake, cookies) when the weather cools off round these parts. Oh, how I am still longing for fall...
Now I know the recipe calls for "hulled" seeds but I decided to use mine whole the first time around. I cooked my sugar mixture longer than suggested because I tend to like my caramels dark, like almost burnt. It turned out pretty good, but had a funky, almost too chewy texture - which is not brittle. But no one seemed to mind, it was gone fast!
This time around, I wanted to do a nut mix instead of just pumpkin seeds. I used a random mixture of almonds, walnuts, pecans, pepitas, and pistachios. Cooking my sugar mixture for just the recommended time of 8-10 minutes, I thought the brittle would be light in color - but I was wrong. My preference is a little bit darker as I stated earlier, but this time the texture was perfect - not chewy, not too hard, just right! I guess those BAKED boys know their stuff. ;) My co-workers devoured this batch and came back asking for more like a bunch of sugar starved zombies. :)
BONUS! I hadn't planned on blogging this one, so I didn't take any prep photos but decided to add it since it is a BAKED Explorations recipe. Today is National Chocolate Day, and I wanted to make something quick yet tasty to bring to a friend. Double Chocolate Loaf was the first thing I thought of, since it has been on my list to make but haven't yet. In an "ah-ha" moment, I realized I had dried cherries on hand and thought they would taste great in this loaf. Usually the first time I make a recipe I do it strictly by the book - not this time...apparently I was feeling a little sassy this morning. By no means am I a super crazy chocolate lover like most people - I only really got into it a few years ago once I learned about chocolate and started using the good stuff! But I will forever be a vanilla girl, tried and true. That being said...this loaf is RIDICULOUSLY good, perfectly balanced between just sweet enough and just chocolatey enough, and the cherries added a nice fruity zing. We had ours lightly toasted, with steaming cups of coffee and plenty of girlish gossip. =p 

See you next Sunday, have a great week all...keep it sweet!

14 comments:

  1. I so want to come to your place and consume all the pumpkin treats you'll be making!!! Great idea using different nuts. I think if I were to make it again I'd do that too. Your brittle looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thanks! I already made the cinnamon rolls, they are DIVINE!

      Delete
  2. I've never made brittle before and was never really a fan until now. I plan on using this as a base recipe and adding other nuts as well. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the brittle! That chocolate loaf has been on my to-do list for too long as well. With such a rave review I must try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be dreaming of the chocolate loaf tonight... Thank you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the nut mix was a terrific idea, because I was thinking that the pumpkin seeds alone don't provide enough texture. Your brittle looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the mixed nuts, too. In fact, I think this is a great basic recipe. I'd forgotten how good that bread was! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bread is so dang good!

    I also think this is a great basic recipe. I like your idea of changing up the nuts, and someone else suggested different spices (I'm obsessed with nutmeg right now, so next batch is getting nutmeg!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had an early pumpkin harvest this year--partly because they came in early and partly because I had to harvest before the deer ate every last pumpkin out of my garden! This year was the first time I tried freezing my puree. I used some it last night to make pumpkin ravioli, and it turned out really well! I've been thinking of making the pumpkin cinnamon rolls, too, but I was waiting for a weekend when we have houseguests so that I don't eat them all myself.

    I think I would really like this brittle with a nut and pepitas combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely wait for guests because you WILL want to eat them all yourself!

      Delete
  9. Wow that chocolate loaf looks ridiculously good, wish I was at your house right now. I have two sugar pumpkins on my kitchen table right now with plans to roast them later, never done it before, but I am glad to hear you say that it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, roast away! It's quite the project and messy but fun. :)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.